Saturday 10 May 2014

right now

I mentioned in the last post that Steve has shingles. It was definitely a fluke thing, him getting it. He's home with us until he's totally in the clear; we're going on week five. Important side note: shingles sucks. There was a long(ish) period in March where he didn't work, and now this is even longer. Wish the circumstances were different but . So I'll become a card-carrying member of the early crew while Steve tries to recoup a little sleep. Right now we make pancakes with berries swimming in maple syrup. Dani almost always gets a little cupful of yogurt and it mostly ends up all matted and crunchy in her curls, since she hasn't allowed herself to be fed since she was 11 months old and insists on doing it herself. I love her independent streak. Right now we're heading into summer and are already going to the beach a few times a week. Towels and our beach blanket are permanently in the trunk, ready to go; sunscreen, ready to go. Cornstarch, ready to go. (cornstarch after a day at the beach. takes away all the sand. MAGIC.) A gallon ziplock bag filled with watermelon wedges and every time I look up it seems like Mila's devouring one, eating it down to the rind. Right now, our other go-to snack is apple slices with a little almond butter and teensy bit of maple syrup drizzled on top. And Himalayan sea salt (it's pink, so it's a hit). Not a good snack for the beach, FYI. I know I'm getting long-winded here.

Today I played "the straining game" (don't ask!) with one and held on tight to another as ocean water ebbed and flowed at our ankles. I remind myself that I am just where I need to be. There are a million little projects I want to get done for our home within the next month, but I need to wait until my partner in crime is more able-bodied. I mind in some moments, and then there are others when we put a record on and I spin around with Dani on my hip, share a giggly look with Mila, and watch Steve do his thing on the dance floor in our living room. It's more than okay.

At the end of 2014 I'll reflect on this past year and already like to think I'll see April and May as our resting, recuperating, calming and quiet time. Marred by shingles, yes, but not completely eclipsed by it. Soon summer will fully hit, and we'll be off, one adventure maybe two, trying to soak in all the sun and swim, bubbles and ice cream. Then fall will start and with it my firstborn will start preschool. I think. I'm still wrapping my head around the idea of Mila, my baby, this girl whom I know inside and outside, being in a school setting. Or to get to the heart of my anxiety, being away from me. If motherhood is all about your heart walking outside of your body, like that famous quote says, then my heart feels like it's gearing up for a marathon. I know preschool is just the beginning. But it's an awfully big beginning.










.


.



.
.

No comments: